Analog horror is a recent trend in horror media and/or a genre of horror focused around found footage, grainy recording, video artifacts, and a surreal liminal tone. All of this adds up to media that typically feels like a fever dream made by stitching together several VHS recordings from disparate sources. Because of its use of the medium to set the tone analog horror needs to be presented as a video or audio on magnetic tape. A written work, even one making references to analog horror tropes, wouldn't count as it can't include the elements that make it analog. That said the boundary is fuzzy with a lot of debatable candidates. Existing comfortably in the genre are YouTube series Gemini Home Entertainment, the Mandela Catalog, Local 58 TV, Kane Pixels' Backrooms, and some EAS scenario videos. Slightly further afield are a number of podcasts like the Magnus Archives and Archive 81 and several found footage movies like the Blair Witch Project and V/H/S all which land in the genre even if they aren't central examples. At the periphery we find games like Five Nights at Freddy's with its security cameras and movies like the Ring with its cursed tape. I wouldn't include either of them but I also wouldn't argue with somebody who did.

Ironically, analog horror is a genre that came into its own almost entirely online. It uses nostalgia for older media combined with the vague unease felt by our younger selves at the strangeness that would show up in late night channel surfing and the vague unease our present selves feel at constant departures from typical video structure. They also utilize the graininess and low fidelity to hide their extremely low production value in many cases. This can be lazy, genius, or both depending on the implementation and is likely to land differently depending on ones media diet growing up. I expect that the majority of analog horror fans are millennials who grew up along side the internet and whose tastes were shaped by creepypastas with both zoomers and Generation X being less amenable. Or not. This is a fairly new subgenre and its entirely possible that it will solidify itself rather than go the way of fifty's B-movies.

IRON NODER XV: LAST SECOND BARE BONES IRON NODER FREAKOUT!