My most embarrassing moment in life so far, happened a long time ago, on a visit to the German town of Hamelin (of Pied Piper fame). I don't know exactly how old I was, around 5 I think. We were living in Germany at the time and my parents thought it would be a fun day out.

We walked around, saw the sights. There was a stage play of the famous legend in the afternoon, In the town square if I remember correctly. There were hundreds of spectators hushed and gathered in the square as the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin played out on a distant stage.

Naturally, being a 5 year old, I soon lost interest in whatever the grown-ups were watching. I soon found something else to occupy my curiosity....

SPLASH!

Yes....somehow I had managed to fall into the water fountain located in the square, which my parents and I had been standing next to. Hundreds of heads turn my way as a small creature, not unlike a drowned rat is swiftly plucked from the fountain, proceeding to bawl like only a 5 year old can.

I was quickly transported back to the car and dried off, forcing my parents to miss the rest of the play, which had since resumed after the short distraction.

Although at the time I wasn't really old enough to understand the concept of embarrassment, I look back now and just cringe.