Mead is generally considered to be the first widely consumed alcoholic beverage, probably originating in prehistoric times. Mead enjoyed popularity for many centuries, before falling out of favor during the last few hundred years. Mead was well known throughout Europe, Asia and Africa as well as in New World civilizations such as the Incas and Aztecs. In Europe, several variations were know:

In addition to its impact on the culture of the day, mead has left a lasting impression on the English language. The modern English word medicine is derived from metheglin, and the word honeymoon takes its name from the custom of drinking mead for the first month after marriage, a practice though to increase virility.

Here is a recipe for a very strong (~15% alcohol by volume), very sweet version of hydromel. The amount of honey can be reduced if you prefer a drier beverage, but keep in mind that historical literature indicates that mead was traditionally a very sweet drink. It is unlikely that you would want to increase the amount of honey in this recipe.

Mead (Hydromel)


Ingredients:


15 Lbs. honey, preferably clover or other light, mild honey
Enough water to make 5.5 gallons
4 teaspoons acid blend (available from homebrew shop)
2 packets dry Pasteur Champagne yeast (also available from homebrew shop)
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient (optional- homebrew shop)

O.G. 1.120-1.130
F.G. 1.020-1.030

You can purchase honey in bulk from most supermarkets, but be prepared for strange looks from the cashier when you purchase 15 pounds of it. Combine the water and honey in a big pot. Ideally, you should have a pot that will allow you to boil the entire 5.5 gallons, but if not, find one that will hold all the honey plus at least 2.5 gallons of water. You can add the rest of the water to the fermenter. Some folks say that boiling kills the subtle flavors of the honey, but in the good ole days, all mead was boiled. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and skim off the copious scum that forms. The scum is mostly proteins that would be detrimental to the finished product if not removed. Boil for about one hour. Add the acid blend (or one cup of fresh sqeezed lemon juice) and yeast nutrient if used. Again, some folks object to using acid, but most traditional recipies include some sort of acid source, or at least would have been soured somewhat during the fermentation (pure yeast cultures were not available back then, and bacteria such as Lactobacillus would have been present in fermenting mead) and the finished product tends to taste like cough syrup without it. Also, the yeast will benefit from the addition of acid. Once you are finished boiling it, cool it (preferably with a counterflow chiller if available) and transfer it to a large glass carboy. Pitch the yeast when the temperature is below 85°F, and seal with an airlock.

Primary fermentation may take about six months when this much honey is used, so patience will be required. When all signs of fermentation cease, the mead should be transferred to another carboy to clear. Fining agents such as bentonite are often added at this point to help clear the yeast from the mead. When the mead is sparkling clear, 5 crushed Campden tablets (a form of sulfite available from homebrew shops) should be added as a preservative. The mead can then be bulk aged in the second carboy for another six months, or bottle immediately in wine or champagne bottles. (I prefer champagne bottles as I can get them free from any number of restaurants that serve a champagne brunch.) Allow a total of two years before your mead is drinkable. Anything shorter than this, and your mead will taste like medicine.

Once your mead is properly aged, and you crack open the first bottle, you may be tempted to celebrate by getting sloshed on the stuff. If you do, this will be the last time such a though ever crosses your mind. When you are able to get out of bed several days later, you will have gained a healthy respect for this most ancient of alcoholic beverages.




Homebrewing 101: Getting Started contains explanations of brewing terms like O.G. and F.G.