g r a v i t y

Newton once said, "gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion." He understood that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. For all of his restrained brilliance Newton was incapable of offering even a twinkle of vision into the chaotic realm of the human heart. Isaac wasn’t alone in his revelation; the frosty realm of hard science systematically ignores the mayhem of feelings that classify our being. I find it interesting that we can characterize the guiding theorems of the very cosmos but be short of understanding the world within. I may subsist in the corporeal world, but I exist in the territory of the self. And that hallowed world appears to be far more intangible then the stellar fireballs that smolder quietly in the coastal sky.

I can’t help but think that maybe Newton’s theory has some equivalent in the uneven landscape of my heart. Gravity has no power in that noiseless province, but there are other forces laboring to bend all motion and events. The recollection of a sun lit sky where a girl in love fights back tears as her plane takes flight carries the raw power of a thousand suns - its tidal strength tethering a ribbon of my being to that sun-drenched day.

When slumber conceals consciousness, time expands according to the desires of the heart. And for a golden moment I am back there speeding under a translucent sun, sea spray gently falling upon my face.

I am with much respect

Honored Readers

Your most humble and most obedient Servant

E. Haulfield.