voyeurism: a paraphilia of the solicitational/allurative type in which sexuoerotic arousal and facilitation or attainment of orgasm are responsive to, [and dependent upon] {and contingent on} the risk of being discovered while covertly or illicitly watching a stranger disrobing or engaging in sexual activity [from French, voir, to look at] The reciprocal paraphilic condition is exhibitionism. See also peodeiktophilia; (noun, voyeur): the condition of being responsive to, or dependent on, the risk of being apprehended while illicitly peering at an individual (usually female) or a couple undressing or engaged in sexual activity, in order to obtain one's erotic arousal and facilitate or achieve orgasm. A voyeur is also known as a peeping Tom, the name of the fictional character, who after warnings not to do so at the pain of death, spied on the naked Lady Godiva as she rode trough the town clad only in her long hair in sympathetic protest of the unreasonable taxes levied by her husband on the impovershed citizens. The risk of detection, while illicitly observing or overhearing nudity or sexual activity, specifically contibutes to the arousal of the paraphilic voyeur. See also voyeurism.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index