Alpha Delta Pi, founded May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia, is the first sorority.

Its founder was Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, who sought to create a secret society for women similar to the fraternity system for men already present at university. Other members of the founding chapter were Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Sophronia Woodruff Dews, Octavia Andrew Rush, Mary Evans Glass, and Ella Pierce Turner.

The women wore blue and white ribbons to celebrate their new sisterhood and in honor of their friendship. They called their society The Adelphean Society.

“When I think of our small beginning (a few girls gathered in my bedroom) and of its growth and influence on so many young lives, my heart is full of joy and pride. I have an abiding faith that you will remember our motto and be noble and unselfish women,” Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald

The sorority went “national” in 1904, and in 1905 the sorority accepted its first Greek letter name, Alpha Delta Phi. In 1913, because a fraternity already existed with the name of Alpha Delta Phi, our name was changed to Alpha Delta Pi, which it remains to this day. The official flower of Alpha Delta Pi, also nicknamed ADPi, is the violet. Our colors are azure blue for friendship and white for sincerity and truth. Our open motto is, “We live for each other.” Our symbols are diamonds, and the clasped hands as a symbol of our friendship. Our mascot is a lion, symbolic of strength of character, affectionately known as “Alphie.”

The sorority is organized geographically by provinces, then districts, concentrated heavily in the Southeastern United States, with four chapters located in Canada. Alpha Delta Pi is a member of the National Panhellenic Council. Executive Office and Memorial Headquarters are located in Atlanta, Georgia. ADPi’s international philanthropy is the Ronald McDonald House. A separate corporation, The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation, accepts tax-deductible gifts, as allowed by law, then uses its resources to fund Alpha Delta Pi scholarships and educational programs. The official magazine of ADPi is The Adelphean.

The standard diamond-shaped badge ADPis wear today was fashioned around 1853. In 1948, Grand President Caralee Strock Stanard gave a keynote speech about the standards and values important to Alpha Delta Pi. Her words are now the creed of the sisterhood.

Our “four points” described in the creed and represented in the four points of the diamond pin are as follows: first, strengthening my own character and personality; second, watching my attitudes to ward my fellow-beings; third, recognizing the value of high educational standards; and fourth, developing faith and loyalty.

Alpha

Women who have pledged Alpha Delta Pi and gone through the Alpha Ceremony of Alpha Delta Pi are now Alpha status. They wear a gold pin with the Greek letters “Beta Upsilon Alpha” and a lion head.

Delta

After initiation, an ADPi may wear the diamond badge of our sisterhood, and has reached Delta status in the sorority.

Pi

After going through Jewel Degree, the sister has reached Pi status and is now an alumna.

Famous ADPis include: