Christian Monasticism began in the fourth century A.D. when men decided not to marry; they thought that the unmarried life offered more time for God, and often lived in silence in order to pray and meditate. Some consider St. Augustine of Hippo, a black philosopher and one of the most prominent figures in the Roman Catholic faith, to have sparked interest in men becoming closer to God when he wrote City of God, a book that described his faith, along with many doctrines of the Church at this time. The men that secluded themselves from mainstream society and remained unmarried, saying that their "bride was the church," were called monachoi, which means "single" in Greek. (The English word "monk" has its etymological roots in this word.)

The life of a monk was not easy or comfortable by today's standards, but it was peaceful. Monks lived in religious orders and communities called abbeys or monasteries. Each monk was called 'Brother,' and the head of each abbey was titled 'Father.' These men who sought to serve God and others devoted their lives to the poor, the Church, and a simple life. One brother would stand outside the monastery's gate handing out bread and broth to the poor. Another brother, called an almoner, would stand outside the gate as well, but would give alms to the blind, poor, and crippled.

Monks pledged celibacy and renounced worldly possessions. Some took an oath of silence so that they could not sin 'by their tongues.' When a man joined an abbey, he would be given a tunic and scapular, over which was worn a long, hooded robe called a cowl. Some monasteries required the head to be shaved in a halo style. The diet of a monk was as simple as their lifestyle. Primarily only ale and water were drunk, and porridge, bread, vegetables, herbs, and broth were eaten. Meat was forbidden and so was wine, unless it was diluted with water. Meals were taken once a day, with a light repast later in the day only if absolutely necessary. Some monks fasted, and would do so on bread, water, and salt. (Fasting is abstinence from, or a small intake of, food for any given period of time.)

The usual day of a monk began by waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. in the summertime, later in the winter months. Then, prayers would be offered, sometimes called vespers. If not fasting, porridge, bread, and ale would be served for the morning meal. Four to eight hours of prayer, worship, and confessions followed. Then the brothers would engage in gardening, clerical work, or artistry to sell in order to keep the monastery in working order, not wealthy. Monks kept only the bare minimum for survival and gifted the rest to others. Not many Christian abbeys exist today; only thirty or so remain.