Lytton, Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, Baron, English poet, author and statesman. He was the youngest son of General Bulwer of Woodalling, and Elizabeth Barbara Lytton of Knebworth, and was born in 1805; died 1873. He entered Trinity Hall, Cambridge, graduated B. A. in 1826, M. A. in 1835, and gained the chancellor's prize medal for his English poem on "Sculpture." He published poetry at an early age, but first gained reputation by the novels "Pelham" and "The Disowned" (1828), "Devereux" (1829), and "Paul Clifford" (1830). These were followed up with the popular romances of "Eugene Aram," "The Pilgrims of the Rhine," "The Last Days of Pompeii," "Rienzi," and "Ernest Maltravers," with its sequel "Alice." In connection with Macready's management at Covent Garden, Bulwer-Lytton produced his "Duchesse de la Valliere," which proved a failure, but this was retrieved by the instant success of the "Lady of Lyons," "Richelieu," and "Money." When he had thus shown his quick adaptability of talent he returned to novel-writing, and published in steady succession -- "Night and Morning," "Zanoni," "The Last of the Barons," "Lucretia," "Harold," "The Caxtons," "My Novel," and "What Will He do with It?" In 1845 he published a poetical satire called "The New Timon," in which he attacked Tennyson, who replied more vigorously than had probably been expected. He entered Parliament for St. Ives in 1831, and supported the Reform Bill as a Whig; but he changed his opinions and latterly supported the Conservatives. Under Lord Derby's ministry he was colonial secretary, and in 1806 entered the House of Lords as Baron Lytton. He was elected rector of Glasgow University in 1856. His later literary works were "The Coming Race," published anonymously (1871), "The Parisians" (1872), and "Kenelm Chillingly" (1873). Among his poetic works were the epic "King Arthur;" the Lost Tales of Miletus;" "Brutus," a drama, etc.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.