Conservative, as applied ot one of the two great parties in English politics, was first used by J.W. Croker in an article in the "Quarterly" for January, 1830, and was by Macaulay in the "Edinburgh" for 1832 referred to as a "new cant word." Conservative accordingly began to supersede Tory about the time of the Reform Bill controversies. The plural form of the word has been assumed as a distinctive name by certain political parties in many nations. These parties are sometimes actually, and always avowedly, opposed to changes from old and established forms and practices. In United States history these names have never been in general use, but in Van Buren's administration the name of Conservatives was applied to those Democrats that at the special session of Congress, of September 1837, opposed the establishment of the sub-treasury system. In the Congress that met in December, 1839, they had practically disappeared. The name was also assumed by Southern whites during the reconstruction period following the Civil War, to show their adherence to the old State governments, the abolition of which by Congress they opposed. The name was also used in the North during this period. The Democrats applied it to themselves to draw moderate Republican votes.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.