Tubular bells are a musical intrument in the percussion section of the orchestra. The bells are a set of brass tubes of various lengths that are hung vertically from a metal or wooden frame. They are also known as orchestral bells or orchestral chimes, The bells are tuned to the chromatic scale, beginning with C above middle C and have a range of one and a half octaves. The percussionist plays the bells by striking them directly near the top with one or two leather or wooden hammers. There is also a damper bar that is operated either manually or by a foot petal to stop the ringing.

Tubular bells were originally introduced as a cheaper alternative to cast bronze bells, and large tubular bells were first used in church bell towers. Later, smaller tubes were made to be played from an organ manual or by a percussionist. As an orchestral instrument, tubular bells provide the percussionist with greater rhythmic control than do other bells. They also produce a clearer tone because the higher harmonic overtones are reduced. The frequency ratios of the three lowest vibration modes of a tubular bell (chime) are 2:3:4, but the other overtones are more complex, giving the bells their characteristically rich sound.


 

Picture