This is one of my favorite things to make in the fall. I like to make it for guests because it looks a good deal more impressive and difficult than it is and my house smells heavenly afterwards. If I have time, I like to make my own noodles to serve with the creamy sauce, but store bought noodles (such as fettuccine) work just as well, and you can also serve this over rice. I like to serve this with a salad of field greens, a good, crusty french bread and a red wine like an Australian shiraz. This recipe will serve 2-4, depending on how hungry they are. This recipe is vegetarian, but not vegan.

Ingredients:
1/2 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
6 ounces chanterelle mushrooms (170 grams)
5 ounces button mushrooms (142 grams)
5 ounces cremini mushrooms (142 grams)
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup -- about 58 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (7.5 ml)
2 tablespoons cognac (30 ml -- you may substitute armagnac, of course, or sherry. If using cooking sherry, reduce the salt).
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika (7.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (2.5 ml, if using canned nutmeg, increase the amount to 1 teaspoon --5 ml).
Fresh ground pepper to taste (usually about 1/2 teaspoon -- 2.5 ml for me)
3/4 cups sour cream (180 ml)
1/4 cups chopped parsley (60 ml)

Thoroughly clean and dry the mushrooms. Set them aside. Peel and finely dice the onion. Crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a wide, large skillet and sweat the onion on low heat until translucent. Add the garlic to the onion. Quarter the button and cremini mushrooms and slice them. Slice the chanterelle mushrooms. Add the butter to the skillet, when the butter has nearly melted add the sliced mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt to mushrooms. Turn the mushrooms with a spatula. Cover with lid, turn heat to medium low. Cook for about fifteen minutes on medium low, turning occasionally (the mushrooms should have reduced considerably in size). Remove the lid. Add the sour cream, paprika, pepper, salt, cognac and stir for about five minutes. Add most of the parsley, stir again, then remove from heat and pour into serving dish. garnish with remaining parsley. Serve hot over noodles or rice.

For the noodles:

By no means is it necessary to make your own noodles. I think it's fun when I have a little extra time (The noodle dough can be made ahead of time and plunged into a boiling pot just as the stroganoff is finishing.)

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
1/4 cup water (60 ml)
2 cups flour

In a bowl beat together egg yolks, egg and salt. Stir in water. Stir in flour. When vaguely doughlike, start kneading on a floured surface (if you have a mixer with a bread hook, you can skip doing this by hand). Kneading by hand can take up to ten minutes, you'll know you're done with you've got a shiny smooth ball of dough instead of a lumpy, clumpy mess. Let the dough rest about a half-hour. Roll out on a floured surface until about 1/8" thick. Cut into noodles 1/4" wide. Cook noodles in a pot full of boiling water for about two-four minutes. If dried first, cook until al dente.