American soccer player and author of 'Captain For Life (and Other Temporary Assignments)'.

John Harkes was the first true US soccer superstar. Shining in the US team in the 1990 World Cup, he transferred to Sheffield Wednesday the following season, and played a key part in their League Cup win over Manchester United in 1991, scoring the Goal Of The Season en route (a 30-yard piledriver against Derby County, beating the great Peter Shilton, no less!).

John was part of the great Wednesday midfield of 1990-93, under Ron Atkinson and Trevor Francis - a midfield consisting of Chris Waddle, John Sheridan, Harkes himself and Carlton Palmer. His workrate and passion were unsurpassed, and his stature in his homeland increased to the point where he was named captain for the 1994 World Cup, which the US hosted.

John left Wednesday in 1993 to sign for Derby County, a move that did not really come off for either the player or his new club, and it was no surprise when he was signed by Washington DC United as one of the flagship players in the fledgling MLS back in his home country. With Harkes at the helm, DC United won two MLS titles and the CONCACAF Federation cup. Meanwhile, the national team again qualified for World Cup France '98, but tactical arguments with the team manager saw John dropped from the squad and stripped of the captaincy, hence the title of his autobiography.

John currently plays for New England Revolution in the MLS.