The whole thing sort of smacks of "embrace and extend," ala Microsoft.

Yeah, check it out:

W3C / UIUC / IANA: Hey! We've got this cool thing called the web... anybody who wants to play can participate in the standards process!
Microsoft: Hm... Oh, we certainly agree... Let's embrace those RFCs... we'll just add one leeeeeetle thing... Oh, does that makes everything break? Oh, you mean people who use our technology can't use other people's technology? What a shame... What a shame... Heheh.

Not to kill an analogy, but saying "proprietary" versus "open" is just as different as saying "Jewish" versus "Christian." To say that being a Jew for Jesus is to be a complete Jew is to be, ultimately, deceptive; fundamental portions of the Jewish faith point away from things like the Holy Trinity; a Messianic era in which wars are fought; etc.

Sure, I could tell you that my bicycle's final evolutionary step would ultimately to be a motorcycle, but if I take off the spoked wheels, put on a motor, discard the frame, get a heavier one, replace the brakes... it's no longer a bicycle, it's a motorcycle.

Similarly, when you start practicing Christianity, you're no longer practicing Judaism.

I'm not saying that Christianity is worse or better than Judaism; just that they're very different faiths. One is not the logical conclusion of the other; to say so is to be disrepectful.

Gadzooks! (Yes, I understand the irony.) Look how I've run on!

Ok, I go away and shut up now. :\