Note: the amounts used here make for about 100 gingerbread figurines, depending on the thickness of the dough there can be more, or less.

- 1000 g all purpose flour

- 100 g granulated sugar

- 750 g honey ( I use a large jar of honey that is aproximately 750g-800g)

- 500 g of minced walnuts/almonds/macadamia nuts ( this year I used almonds, but walnuts are my fave)

- 5 whole eggs

- 15 g baking ammonia

-20 g baking soda

- 250-300 ml melted butter (at room temperature)/heavy cream/sunflower oil

- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon

- 1 tablespoon nutmeg

- 1 tablespoon ginger powder

- 1 tablespoon clove powder

Everything is mixed together in a large bowl until it becomes a gooey looking semi-solid paste.(* If you think it is too thin, you can add extra flour, but trust me, after you leave it in the fridge, it will become solid). Then the bowl is covered with plastic foil and put in the frigde at least 12 hours before the baking show.

The next day, you will:

  • pre-heat oven (I have an old oven, so I just light it 30 minutes before starting);
  • take 2 baking trays and put baking paper on their bottoms;
  • pull out 2 large sheets of baking paper and just take how much dough you want from the bowl with a spoon, or you cand even use your 2 hands, if you want to get all dirty and naughty.

Using just sprinkles of flour so that dough doesn't stick onto the paper, and a rolling pin, just roll it over the dough to get it even and at the desired thickness ( I make it medium - thick, so I can get aproximately 100 figurines which I shall later bring to my work-place or give them to my firends, neighbours, etc.);

Then, with biscuit cutters or just a round glass, cut the dough into round shapes (if you have other forms and shapes of biscuit cutters - go wild and use them - stars, butterflies, hearts and so on);

Put the shapes in the trays, leaving just a bit of space around them so they don't stick together while they bake and grow inside the oven.

Put the trays in the oven and bake until they turn golden-copperish (be careful not to burn them, because this happens in no time if you don't supervise the whole "operation" ~ mine take about 5 to 10 minutes).

When they are ready, just put them somewhere to cool down (on a large table is the best, because you will later need to brush them with glazing).

Repeat all until you run out of dough.

When the last tray is done, pour yourself a glass of wine and relax for 20 minutes, and then:

  • take just the egg white from an egg and put it in a medium bowl
  • 150-200 g confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
  • the juice from 1/2 lemon

mix it at medium speed until it becomes foamy-hard;

Using a pastry brush, just take from the white foam and brush on the gingerbread (ALL of them). It doesn't matter how much foam you brush on them, you can have it thick or thin, depending on your taste. I know this may seem a lot of work, but if you call a friend, or just put some inspiring music, then it will all seem a piece of...gingerbread :)

Also, I would recommend to cover the table with non-stick paper, or baking paper, so it will be easier to clean-up afterwards.

You can let them as they are or just sprinkle on them almonds, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, whatever your imagination is telling you to put on them , you can't go wrong!

When you are done, leave them to dry until the next morning, kill the lights and ignore the mess - you will clean it tomorrow :)

 


 

P.S.: if you ever make this recipe, please let me know your opinion/the reaction of the people you feed :)