Layers. It's all about the layers.

Lesbian Robot Vampires : The Play


Harry: So check it out. There's this website called Everything 2. (Turns to audience) www dot... are you writing this down? ... everything 2 dot com. (Turns back to Jeremy)

Jeremy: Fascinating. and you are?

Harry: Jeremy.

Jeremy: Harry.

They shake hands.

Harry: Nice to meet you.

Jeremy: Likewise. You were saying?

Harry: On this website, they asked us to write a play that can be executed in 60 seconds. (To audience) Of course, by "US" I mean the author of the play. He should have referred to himself in the 3rd person, but hey, he wrote the play and I just say what he tells me to. By the way, I'm a cross-dressing pansy.

Jeremy looks at Harry in disbelief for a second and then makes a 'please continue' motion with his hand.

Jeremy: Moving swiftly forward.....

Harry: (To Jeremy): Anyway.... this guy who calls himself Footprints wrote this play just to advertise a story of his called Lesbian Robot Vampires : The Case of the Radioactive Cat.

Jeremy: What do you mean "THIS PLAY?!" We're just actors in a play?

Harry: Yup.

Jeremy: But I can't act!

Harry: I noticed.

Jeremy: Bloody hell. And we're just here to advertise that story to this audience?

Harry: Actually, I think he just wrote this just for the people who read it on the website.

Jeremy: So he never actually meant for this play to be acted out?

Harry: I don't think so.

Jeremy: Bloody hell.

Jeremy shakes his head in disbelief and they begin to walk offstage.

Jeremy: (Mutters) Bastard!

Exeunt, chased by a pack of rabid werewolves

Harry returns

Harry: (To audience) Seriously though - go read it.

Exit, chased by his own ghost


Of course, the above play will most likely not be acted out as it incorporates E2 prominently. Therefore I have written another play which, although it has fewer layers, still brings home the point of the actor acting in a play in which he doesn't know that he is acting. And it's still all about the layers. And a bit about the lasers. But mostly about the layers.

Gone in Sixty Seconds 2005 - Theatre Quest Entry


Victor is standing in the middle of the stage. Hector walks onto the stage from the right holding a two-page script.

Hector: Yo, Victor, check this out.

Victor: What is it?

Hector shows the script to Victor, and they both look at it.

Hector: It's a script for one of the plays today.

Victor: Is it any good?

Hector: I don't know. Do you want to read a bit?

Victor: Sure. Let's see - You read Hector and I'll read Victor.

Hector: Okay. You stay there. I have to enter from the right.

Hector goes off stage (to the right) and comes back on.

Hector: Yo, Victor, check this out.

Victor: What is it?

Hector shows the script to Victor, and they both look at it.

Hector: It's a script for one of the plays today.

Victor: Is it any good?

Hector: I don't know. Do you want to read a bit?

Victor: Sure. Let's see - You read Hector and I'll read Victor.

Victor looks up at Hector.

Victor: Is that it?

Hector: No, there's a bit more over the page.

Hector flips over the page.

Victor: Is that it?

Hector: That's it.

Victor: It's not very good.

Hector: Maybe you just don't get it. Maybe if the actors are really good, it'll be a really good play.

Victor: What, with an ending like that? No self-respecting actor will ever act in that play.

Hector looks up from the script

Hector: That's it.

Victor: It's not very good.

Hector: Maybe you just don't get it. Maybe if the actors are really good, it'll be a really good play.

Victor: What, with an ending like this? No self-respecting actor will ever... aw crap.

Curtain falls