The receptionist at work is new. I think the usual receptionist is on vacation.

At work around 1pm last Friday, the new receptionist phoned me at my desk. She asked me if I'd ordered a cheese pizza. I said no. She sounded disappointed. I asked why she was asking and she said that someone had delivered one and she didn't know who it was for. I asked if there was a name or phone number on the order and she said no. I said "too bad" and ended the conversation.

This is one of those odd occurrences that most of the time people would just shake off and forget about. But I can't help thinking there's something going on.

First or all, why pick me to call? There's hundreds of people in the office and any of them are just as likely to have ordered a pizza. It's not like I'm hosting a lunch meeting; she'd know that because she has access to the conference room booking system. I've never ordered a pizza to work before so it's not like there's a precedent. It makes no sense to call me.

Next, why did she say it's a "cheese" pizza? Why be that specific? When the delivery guy arrived and said he's dropping off the pizza, did she ask what's on it? How does knowing what's on it help to find the person who ordered it? I could understand if a bunch of different pizzas arrived at the same time, then you might figure out whose is whose by toppings, but I walked through the lobby a minute after she called and there was no other pizza guys making deliveries.

Why was there no name or phone number on the order? Every pizza place always asks for at least a phone number, but when ordering to an office I'd assume that they'd ask for a contact name too. No name and no number is really odd and doesn't sound plausible.

Maybe she was just checking up on me. Maybe someone wanted her to call me and see if I was at my desk so they could get me. Maybe there's a sniper on the roof of the building across the street. He phoned the receptionist on his way into the building to make sure I was there, in position. It's a conspiracy.

What if the real receptionist isn't on vacation? What if the sniper and the new receptionist had her whacked so the new receptionist could take over the job and monitor my movements?

You know, just after she called about the pizza I left my desk. I had to go to another room to work for a couple hours. I wonder if that saved my life? Just after confirming I was there, I left. The sniper missed me.

And when I left my desk right after her call, I had to walk through the lobby past the receptionist to get to the other room. I smelled no pizza. There was no confused pizza man waiting for her to find the orderer. There wasn't even an abandoned pizza on the counter.

I don't think there ever was a pizza.

I think someone's setting me up for something.

Maybe I should call in sick tomorrow.