Just remember - never ask a British Telecon employee when they are going to actually introduce that beautiful thing known as DSL. There's simply no need, as the answer is always In three month's time.
They've been doing this for nearly two years now, and I'm starting to suspect that the company has scoured the Universities to snap up the finest Mornington Crescent players in the country.

The real answer to the DSL question is, of course, about fifteen minutes after the local loop is unbundled, in July 2001. This is the magic date at which other companies are allowed to supply said service, undermining the bastard's obscene monopoly.

Needless to say, I fucking hate them.

Footnote: Although BT may, just, possibly, perhaps maybe let a couple of people get DSL installed before July 2001 (as a special favour), it's still restricted to 512kb down/256kb up, and *you're not allowed to run a server on it*. Fucking genius.

DSL Update (18th July 2000) from The Register;

"According to sources close to BT's plans, ADSL will be rolled out for end users early next year at a price of between £610 and £840 per annum, with the contention rate running at ratios of between 20:1 to 50:1"
What? Surely not! BT delaying DSL again? Goodness me! I am surprised. That'll be nearly three years late then!