I grew up in San Francisco. Arguably the most liberal city in the United States. My mother was involved in Politics. A Past President of the local chapters of the AAUW and NWPC. My father was one of the first male members of both. I helped found the NOW chapter at my high school. My Middle School was mostly African American, my High Schools was predominantly Chinese. I am a Straight White Middleclass Male.
My life experiences have skewed my perceptions beyond the norm.

I can't think improper thoughts; it's been brainwashed out of me.
I can't touch a girl until she has either: expressly told me I could, or initiated contact consistently over a span of weeks. To me, No Always Means No. I don't see people as different races/sexual preferences... they're just people who seem a lot less edgy... or more so than myself.

I am the ultimate product of political correctness training, and it has gimped me.

But is my inability to interact balanced by my inability to offend? That's the main question behind political correctness. Is the hobbling of our minds and perceptions worth the effort?
It is.
Tolerance is worth it. Though political correctness is not tolerance in itself, being forced to act in such a manner affects our subconcious. We behave as society wants us to behave and our children see that behavior as the norm.
I've talked to many people my age, and they seem to think the 1950's were a happy time in America. They believe that it looked like the movies we see.
I talk to people my parents age about that time, and they remember it quite differently. Alcoholism was rampant, as were familial abuse. Members of minorities were beat up because of their differences. People taunted those who were different.
That doesn't sound much different from today? Wrong, it was done On television and in movies, it was done By the government in full view of the public. It was endorsed by the leaders of the community.
The 1960's were a time of rebellion... what do you think they were rebelling from?
Political Correctness has humbled us. It has hurt our ability to say things as they are. It has made us aware of other people's pain, and taken away our ability to express our regret.
But it has also saved many people from being hurt more. It has taught us that some things are not acceptable.

And thats why I don't mind being brainwashed.