The latest album from Spiritualized, which will be released on September 10th, 2001. This is the much anticipated follow up to their last incredible studio album, Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

The first single, Stop Your Crying, will be released on August 27th, 2001.

The album was written and arranged by Jason Pierce was recorded both at Air studios and Abbey Road Studios(The famous Studio Two) and was produced by J Spaceman and John Coxon.

In addition to the regular members of the band, the recording includes over 100 musicians, from gospel and traditional choirs, as well as an orchestra. Band members credited on the album incude:

A five-piece brass ensemble will be joining the above members when the band begins to tour in support of the album.

This album has been playing non stop since I heard about it and downloaded the tracks to check them out. It is perhaps one of the most beautiful albums of the past ten years, with Grandaddy's The Sophtware Slump and Radiohead's OK Computer.

So what does it sound like? Imagine if Leonard Cohen made an analog version of Radiohead's Amnesiac, and mixed it down with Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother. Between powerful horn lines (the french horn runs rampant on the disc) and sweeping chorus, you find assaulting rock tunes. This may just be the album of the year. Wow.

Tracks are :

  1. On Fire - A piano and chorus driven rocker typical of Spiritualized's louder tunes. on any of Floyd's 70's era releases.
  2. Do It All Over Again - A romping frolicky song, almost 70's cheezy pop, but not.
  3. Don't Just Do Something - A sweeter vocal driven track, what would happen if Steely Dan made Space Rock
  4. Out Of Sight - Filled with wailing guitar, horns and strings, this would fit perfect
  5. The Twelve Steps - A hard distorted rocker that comes in soundind almost like My Generation, this has a bridge worthy of the Starsky and Hutch soundtrack.
  6. The Straight And The Narrow - Sounds like R.E.M.. At their best.
  7. I Didn't Mean To Hurt You - An orchestral dirge of sorts with a blues sensibility
  8. Stop Your Crying - The most gospel song on the album, this is a feel good special, akin to Coldplay's Everything's Not Lost, except this one has the choir.
  9. Anything More - Another warmer tune, peacful and made for being in love. complete with sweeping horn lines.
  10. Won't Get To Heaven (The State I'm In) - Continuing the patterns on the latter part of the album, this is a grandiose number that would sound wel suited over the ending credits of a film.
  11. Lord Can You Hear Me - Sounds just like the title suggests, this could easily have been required at a Baptist church on any given Sunday.

factual stuff gathered from www.spiritualized.com