So for now on, I'm be keeping the top headlines from around the world here. If there are any sources I'm not using that you recommend, please /msg me. Do you know an english language paper in South America or Eastern Europe that updates daily? Let me know please.

Without further ado, here is today's top news from around the world:

The BBC's Top Headlines:

  • Blair to trigger poll
    Prime Minister Tony Blair sees the Queen, effectively firing the starting gun for elections on 7 June.
  • China protests over new spy flights
    China reacts angrily to the resumption of US surveillance flights, denying claims that the detained spy plane to be flown home.
  • Space tourist hopes to blaze trail
    The world's first space tourist Dennis Tito says he hopes his $20m holiday will inspire other rich amateur astronauts.
  • Protests greet Chinese president
    The Falun Gong spiritual movement begins protests as Chinese President Jiang Zemin arrives in Hong Kong.
  • 'Gun clue' in Dando suspect's coat
    The jury at the Jill Dando murder trial hears the first forensic evidence, which it is claimed links Barry George to her murder.
  • US thrown off second UN body
    Washington describes as "regrettable" a decision to vote the US off a world-wide body that monitors drugs trafficking and manufacture.
  • Appeal to free Angolan children
    United Nations officials demand the immediate release of 60 children abducted during an armed attack near the capital, Luanda.
  • Ugandan troops leaving DR Congo
    Uganda announces an "immediate" pullout of troops from 10 towns in northern Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • Ghana's ex-sports minister charged
    Mallam Issah is charged with stealing US$46,000 meant as a winning bonus for the national team.
  • 'Torture rife' in Brazil jails
    Brazil accepts criticism about prison conditions levelled by Amnesty International ahead of an appearance before the UN Committee on Torture.
  • Mexican woman awaits $48 billion payout
    If you have ever grumbled about how little interest your bank pays on your savings, then pay attention to the story of 65-year-old Celia Reyes Lujano from Mexico.
  • Japan refuses textbook changes
    Japan's Prime Minister, Junichiro Koizumi, says the controversial history textbooks which have infuriated South Korea cannot be revised.
  • Israel sounds the alarm
    Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warns of dangerous times ahead following the discovery of an arms cache bound for Gaza.
  • Iran's red carpet for Castro
    Cuban leader Fidel Castro arrives on a three-day visit in Iran, which he praises for its anti-US stance.
  • Bangladesh fears Tagore attacks
    Bangladeshi police step up security at cultural centres linked to the renowned author and poet, Rabindranath Tagore.
  • Laloo Prasad facing arrest
    A court in the Indian state of Jharkhand issues an arrest warrant for one of India's most controversial political leaders, Laloo Prasad Yadav.

The New York Times' Top Headlines

  • Rumsfeld Plans to Seek a Military Strategy Using Outer Space
    In his first major policy speech, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld will propose on Tuesday a sweeping overhaul of space programs.
  • Drug Spending Grows Nearly 19%
    As an aging population coped with arthritis, diabetes and high cholesterol, spending on prescription drugs shot up 18.8 percent last year, a new study shows.
  • Decrease in Chronic Illness Bodes Well for Medicare Costs
    A decrease in the probability that elderly Americans will be devastated by chronic disabilities like stroke and dementia could spell a slowdown in Medicare spending.
  • U.S. Resumes Its Spy Flights Close to China
    For the first time since a collision on April 1 between a Navy surveillance plane and a Chinese fighter jet, the United States resumed reconnaissance flights off the coast of China.
  • Statewide Blackouts Ordered in California
    An early hot spell and a high number of power plants out of service for maintenance forced rolling power blackouts in California late Monday.
  • Free AIDS Care Brings Hope to Botswana
    Botswana's bountiful diamonds have made it rich enough to mount a wide-ranging effort to save its people from the AIDS epidemic.
  • Bosnian Serb Crowd Beats Muslims at Mosque Rebuilding
    Angered by plans to rebuild a mosque in their city, a Bosnian Serb crowd beat dozens of Muslims and forced Western officials to take refuge.
  • Court Considers Ownership of Seized 'Hitler' Paintings
    The heirs of Heinrich Hoffmann, Adolf Hitler's friend and personal photographer, are suing the United States to regain paintings created by Hitler

China Daily (Chinese Government -- www.chinadaily.com.cn) Top Headlines

  • Jiang pledges to continue opening China's markets
    Chinese President Jiang Zemin Tuesday pledged to continue China's policy of opening its markets to the outside world following the country's entry into the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
  • China bars crippled US spy plane from flying out
    China said on Tuesday it would not allow a US spy plane crippled in a collision with a Chinese fighter to fly out of the country.
  • Taiwan official flies to Beijing
    Former Taiwan "premier" Vincent Siew flew to China on Tuesday to try to win mainland leaders over to his idea of establishing a regional common market as part of reconciliation efforts.
  • Changes in US-China ties debated
    A month of near-constant turmoil in US-Chinese ties has raised fresh questions about whether President George W. Bush has helped to set in motion a fundamental realignment of the countries' relationship.

Panapress (African www.panapress.com) Top Headlines

  • Stray cow halts governor's convoy in northern Nigeria
    The official convoy of governor Bukar Ibrahim of Yobe state in northern Nigeria was involved in a serious crash at the weekend, after a stray cow ran into the motorcade as it travelled from the state capital of Damaturu to Buni Yadi, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported Monday.
  • Bloody violence erupts in western Kenya
    Provincial authorities in Kenya's Rift-Valley Province Tuesday moved fast to allay fears of an escalation of tribal hostilities in the Kipkelion area of Kericho district, Western Kenya following a wave of violence that left four people dead and considerable destruction of property.
  • Obasanjo begins marathon foreign trip
    [Nigeria[n President Olusegun Obasanjo begins a marathon three-nation trip Tuesday, that will take him to Congo Democratic Republic and Rwanda, ahead of a US visit, starting Thursday
  • Political prisoners' lives threatened amidst flogging
    Eighteen political prisoners, repeatedly flogged by their prison wardens, alleged Tuesday that they have also been receiving threats to their lives from the prison authorities in Monrovia, Liberia.
  • Nigeria moves to implement ECOWAS arms Moratorium
    Nigeria has taken a major step toward complying with the ECOWAS' Small Arms Moratorium by setting up a national committee to oversee its implementation in the country.
  • Kabila wants DR Congo plunderers booked
    DR Congo leader Joseph Kabila has implored the international community to punish Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi for invading, occupying and plundering natural resources from the central African state.
  • Nigerian Red Cross Society marks 40th anniversary
    The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) said in Lagos Monday that it would invest over 90 million naira in the next 18 months to improve knowledge, understanding and prevention of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, among young people in the country. (110 naira=1USD).
  • Expelled MMD members fight for Parliamentary Seats
    The Lusaka High Court Tuesday adjourned hearing till 18 May, in the ex-parte injunction on behalf of expelled members of President Frederick Chiluba's ruling Movement for Multiparty Democracy (MMD), who are challenging their expulsion.
  • Swazi government bans two private publications
    Swaziland's emerging private media have come under siege following official clampdown on two publications considered critical of the government and the monarchy.
  • Gidada lauds Red Cross anti-AIDS efforts
    Ethiopian President Negasso Gidada has commended the country's Red Cross and its volunteers for their anti-AIDS activities during the last two years.