The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network , or RAINN, is a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C. RAINN operates a national hotline for survivors of sexual assault. Their toll-free hotline offers free counseling and support 24-7, and all calls are totally confidential. (Wasn't sure if I could include the number here, but I can cite my source for this info, and the number is available there...http://rainn.org)

RAINN is available to those who might not have a rape crisis center in their area or to those who would be unwilling to speak with someone locally. Because many survivors of sexual abuse are being victimized by someone in their very home, they fear a local call to a crisis center would appear on their telephone bill and they allow their fear to prevent them from seeking assistance. Calls to RAINN do not appear on phone bills. When RAINN receives a call, the operator immediately transfers the caller to a crisis center nearest them.

RAINN is advertised in newspapers, magazines, by television and radio stations, and through a large number of celebrities including: R.E.M., Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Jennifer Aniston, Jewel and Sheryl Crow (among others).

RAINN was founded in 1994 with grants from Atlantic Records and the Warner Music Group.