What is a Sensei?

Sensei, a Japanese word meaning teacher. The use of the word Sensei in the west is applied to an instructor of Japanese martial arts. In Japan it is applied again to the martial arts instructor, the school teacher and a term of great honour and respect.

During my study of the Japanese arts I have had many “sensei” but few have really personified the true meaning of Sensei. A true Sensei inspires and instructs without need of tangible rewards. They devote their knowledge and time tirelessly to their students and ask only in return that the student applies themselves in a similar way to their studies.

A true Sensei is not a tyrant yet they have an effortless air of authority that you dare not question. They are powerful yet caring and apply their power and energy to the development and protection of others. The perfect example of a Sensei’s outlook on the development of his charges is best expressed by a quote from Jigaro Kano the inventor of Judo: “It is not important to be better than others only better than yesterday.”.

I have been fortunate in recent years to have been instructed by people who I consider worthy of the term Sensei. They have always treated their students with the same respect that they would expect in return. They are concerned about their students personal and spiritual development as well as the perfection of techniques.

I do not intend to name the good Sensei or to put down the not so experienced instructors, I merely intend to express my thanks and gratitude to all true Sensei. It is my hope that I may one day be worthy of such a title.