New research on migraine headaches indicates that the condition is not caused by a vascular disorder--the classical explanation that has previously described the headache as veins being distended. The latest thinking is that the pain and migraine state are actually created by an electrical disorder within the brain.

The discoveries came because of new imaging devices that allow scientists to actually watch patients' brains during a migraine attack. The result: Migraine sufferers have "abnormally excitable neurons." When a migraine starts, the neurons fire off charges at the back of the brain. The charges flow along the top of the brain and then down into the pain centers in the brainstem. This causes blood flow to rise sharply as the pain wave passes through, and then drop sharply. The actual migraine pain can then come from the constricted blood vessels, the brainstem, or both. This formation explains the former mystery of why certain epilepsy drugs relieve migraines for some people.

The research also suggests that a migraine needs to be treated right away once it starts, because migraine pain seems to create changes within the physical structure of the brain that could lead to chronic pain later on. This is especially important information because the majority of migraine-sufferers do not take either preventative medication or the more powerful prescriptions such as Maxalt. And (according to the Associated Press) fewer than half of American physicians correctly diagnosed migraines given the symptoms. Many doctors persist in believing that an aura is a definitive symptom, even though it occurs only in a third of migraineers. All of this adds up to: It is IMPORTANT to talk to your doctor about this new research! Undiagnosed migraines can lead to even worse things (hard as that is to imagine). And hopefully the new findings will lead to better treatment.