"Kingdom of the Wicked" is a graphic novel written by Ian Edginton and illustrated by D'Israeli. It was published as a hardbound graphic novel in 2014 by Dark Horse Comics, based on a 1997 miniseries. The book is a work of dark fantasy with elements of surrealism, similar to the works of such British creators as Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis, who the creators have collaborated with.

Chris Grahame is a successful author of children's books whose life has recently been changed by a string of increasingly severe headaches. During one of these severe episodes, he is brought back to Castrovalva, a fantasy kingdom he created when he was seven years old. But now Castrovalva is a wasteland full of war, where the land is ruled by someone called "The Great Dictator", who resembles Chris himself. Back in the waking world, Grahame can find no help for his increasingly severe headaches and hallucinations, and gets into a car crash. While unconscious, Grahame finds himself trapped in the dystopia of his fallen imaginary kingdom, and the identity of his evil doppelganger. Meanwhile, in the outside world, Grahame's doctors, and the readers, discover the cause: Grahame has a fetal twin inside his body, wrapped around his brainstem. The climax of the story takes place in both the worl of Castrovalva and the real world, as Grahame's identity is challenged on a spiritual and medical level.

The main attraction of this for me is how well it blended the fantastic elements with the mundane element. The weird landscapes and terrible monsters of the fantasy world are frightening, but especially so as they combine with real world fears like brain tumors. The art helped highlight the mixture of real and fantastic, and I would compare it roughly to the art in The Sandman (which, importantly, D'Israeli contributed to), without being derivative. My main complaint is that it was too short: while the main conflict is shown in the story, most aspects of both Grahame's real life, and of the fantasy world of Castrovalva, are only shown in passing.