I was in the kitchen and told Pseudo_Intellectual my guilty secret. He reacted well but was clearly a bit betrayed and angry. He filled a saucepan about a third full of water and poured it down my neck. Fair enough. I'd do that too.

I assured him that I had never used it for evil purposes, and had never set out to deceive him.

The only reason you can stop opposite a bus stop is to check your brake fluid. There was a demonstration of a car doing this, pulling over; although it was in a country lane, the bay opposite the bus stop was marked out. It was like an old training film or newsreel, perhaps 1950s. I don't remember much narration though: for that kind of thing it was eerily silent. Checking brake fluid does not require getting out of the car.

Then a motorcyclist demonstrated the only reason you are allowed to take your hand off the handlebars while riding beside a train is to... I was a bit unclear about this, he seemed to be adjusting his cuffs, holding up his arms quite ostentatiously to demonstrate it, as you might hold out an arm to indicate a turning.

It seemed awfully dangerous to me, as he was quite close to the speeding train, and he had long chains dangling from his sleeves, which I thought must surely get entangled in the wheels.

A lorry also had chains hanging from it, but in this case they had taken the trouble to loop some out of the way on the hooks for that purpose; and they very cleverly had the hooks in the cabin ceiling at an oblique angle so that they could fit an entire board inside, slung diagonally. There were two men in the lorry and a dog, something like a collie.

As I want to learn to drive, I think I should pay attention to these safety tips and learn the rules of the road.

We were at a kind of border station, a bit Mitteleuropa or toytown, waiting for a bus, my boss (Cockney Wanker) and I.

I took a pad to write down this dream -- actually I only remembered the part about P_I at this stage, but thought it would make a good write-up for E2. The earlier pages were coming loose; I selected a blank page about four in. A couple of pages later was hidden a map of, I forget now, either Witch Island or Elephant Island, in red pen.