In addition to all the usual Orwellian associations, "1984" was the namesake of the famous television commercial used by Apple Computer to launch the original Macintosh computer system.  The "1984" commercial ran during the third quarter of the Superbowl, January 1984.  

In the commercial, an athletic young woman carrying an Olympic hammer runs down a dark and gloomy auditorium aisle. The vast room is filled with seemingly endless rows of hollow men, monochrome Morlocks in the middle of an indoctrination lecture.  Their eyes are fixated on a huge screen displaying the strident image of Big Brother.

Chased by nasty-looking storm troopers, our heroine spins and hurls her hammer at Big Brother's scowling face on the glowing screen and it explodes in a satisfying epiphany of light and dust.  As the blast blows through the auditorium, and the subjugated masses begin to awaken from their servitude, the screen fades to black and these prophetic words into our vision, accompanied by a voiceover:

On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh.  
And you'll see why 1984 won't be like "1984."  

The "1984" commercial, in conjunction with Apple's official Macintosh launch, was widely acknowledged as the most successful advertising campaign in history.  "1984" was created by the advertising agency Chiat/Day, and directed by Ridley Scott of Blade Runner fame. "1984" was only aired one time1.

For a historical reference, here's the text of Big Brother's speech in the piece:

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!

 

1 To view 1984: http://www.apple-history.com/1984.html

CST Approved