Today was a fine day indeed. I woke up to earth-shatteringly loud music (having used 'at' and 'mpg123' to turn my computer into the world's most elaborate alarm clock), bathed, shaved, and got into my one good suit. Then I took the bus up to the Space Telescope Science Institute on the campus of Johns Hopkins University. Actually, I got off at the wrong stop and ended up having to hike around the northern end of Wyman Park (which runs pretty seamlessly into the Hopkins campus) and back onto the campus -- no fun on a Baltimore summer day while wearing a wool suit. I was swearing the whole time, both from the heat and from fear that I would be late for my interview.

As soon as I got inside STScI, though, I felt much better. Not only did they have powerful air conditioning, but the wall clock showed that I was actually five minutes early. I signed in, and one of the people I was to meet with came to get me.

I met with a group of three men there, and they told me about the work they need done. They asked me a few questions about my background and skills, and seemed to like the answers. Enough to offer to buy me lunch, anyway. I grabbed my friend Christy (who works in the bowels of the Institute) and they rounded up a few available astronomers. Then our group (now swelled to eight souls) proceeded to a nearby French restaurant.

It was a little awkward at first, but some of the astronomers started telling funny war stories about various observatories where they had worked and everyone loosened up a little. I made a few contributions to the conversation myself. The food was delicious.

We all walked back to the Institute and two of the men I'd met with earlier offered me a job. This made my day--actually, it made my decade, just about. I have been trying to get a job there for about two years now, and this is the first time I'd even gotten so much as a return phone call. I accepted on the spot, and filled out a little paperwork. As soon as that's processed (in maybe a week) I'll be working there.

I then walked to my friend John's house, not far from there, and listened to him and Greg make music while I read a book by Timothy Leary. Then Greg and I walked home, where I found out that I received a postcard out of the blue from the most likely HARMLESS Segnbora-t.

So I had a good day.