A hero/villain published in the comics of Marvel Comics. It, the Living Colossus first appeared in Tales of Suspense #14 in 1961.

During the height of the Soviet Union, the leadership of the nation commissioned the Soviet artist Petrovski to create a monument to the achievements of the state. The 100 ft high crude figure was dubbed the Colossus. Just before its official unveiling, an alien from planet Kigor crash landed on Earth while escaping from authorities from its own planet. Though its crab-like form would seem to offer sufficient protection from Earth's environment, the alien sought a suitable host for its consciousness to aid it in surviving. It projected its mind into the 100 ft high statue, animating it and causing general havoc around Moscow. The Soviets were forced to call out their armed forces to attempt to stop the animated statue, but their best efforts were to no avail, much to the delight of Cold War readers. Only, the timely intervention of the alien's pursuers saved the Soviet army from being decimated by a symbol of their own might. The Kigorians removed their fellow's mind from the statue, which returned to being inanimate.

Years later, the Colossus was sent to Los Angeles as part of a cultural exchange program between the Soviets and the Americans. While on display in California, more aliens from Kigor came and took over the statue planning on using it to conquer the Earth. Only the timely intervention of Bob O'Bryan, a special effects engineer for Delanzy Studios, saved the Earth. Constructing a supposedly superior construct to house the Kigorians minds, Bob convinced them to switch from the original statue (which was now known as It, the Living Colossus) into his construct. The Kigorians, capable of interstellar flight and mind projection, are obviously extremely trusting as they never suspected that O'Bryan might be lying to them. Once within the construct, O'Bryan set off explosives he had wired to the construct, defeating the Kigorians.

The Soviet statue stayed at the Delanzy Studios for a time, during which Bob O'Bryan was victim of an accident that cost him the use of his legs and embittered him against the world. One evening while working at the studio, O'Bryan witnessed an attempt by agents of the criminal mastermind Dr. Vault to steal the staute. Enraged by their actions, O'Bryan inexplicably transfered his mind into It, the Living Colossus, animating it again. O'Bryan was able to hold them off for a time, but was eventually subdued and lost control. Vault and his men transfered the statue to a secret lab, where it was successfully shrunk to 30 ft tall. Vault planned to inhabit the statue himself, but O'Bryan wrested control from Vault and escaped. O'Bryan used the statue for a time, fighting evil around Los Angeles. It, the Living Colossus even teamed up with Fin Fang Foom at one point to help turn back an alien invasion. Eventually, O'Bryan ceased his adventuring, regained the use of his legs, and married a television star.

Years later during a rampage through Los Angeles by the Incredible Hulk, O'Bryan dusted off It ,the Living Colossus to stop the jade giant. While the Colosus battled the Hulk, Dr. Vault returned and was able to take control of the statue from O'Bryan. While reveling in his new-found power, Vault was attacked by the Hulk who smashed the statue into dust, seemingly ending its and Vault's careers.

Years later, during the filming of a movie starring Simon Williams, the actor-hero known as Wonder Man, O'Bryan created a robotic version of the Colossus for use in the film. The robot was hijacked during the filming and used by criminals for a crime spree. O'Bryan's version of the Colossus was defeated by Wonder Man. A few years after that, a criminal named Lotus brought the original Living Colossus back by gathering the smashed pieces and dust and taking control of Bob O'Bryan's mind. Wonder Man with the help of his friend the Beast were able to defeat Lotus and the Colossus. The original remains in Los Angeles, awaiting the next opportunity for it to be used as a plot device.