A superhero published by DC Comics. Miss America first appeared in Military Comics #1 in 1941.

Joan Dale worked as a reporter for a New York newspaper in the early 1940's. While following a lead on Liberty Island home of the Statue of Liberty, Dale fell asleep on a park bench. She dreamed that the Statue came to life and gave her powers to use to defend America. When Dale awoke, she actually had the power to rearrange the atomic structure of things. Dale took the dream to heart and began fighting evil as Miss America.

Unbeknownst to Dale, her powers were part of a secret U.S. government project called Project M. Based beneath Liberty Island, Project M sought to give superhuman abilities to soldiers. When the project's latest volunteer died as a result of the experiments, the director turned to one of his operatives, Agent X. Agent X promised to bring a subject for experimentation, and called a reporter he believed to be John Dale, planting a false lead. When Joan Dale arrived, Agent X decided to use her anyway, drugging her and bringing her for experimentation. When the scientists involved in the process tried their test, they thought an error had been made and that Dale's mind had been destroyed. The group sought to cover up their mistake, by putting Dale back on the bench where she was taken. Dale, however, recovered and began her superhero career.

Miss America was a member of three superhero groups: the Freedom Fighters, the Justice Society of America and the All-Star Squadron. She eventually found her abilities fading and so retired from adventuring and maried Derek Trevor. The two had a daughter they name Hippolyta or Lyta for short. Lyta went on to become the superhero Fury.