A villain published by Marvel Comics. The Toad first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #4.

The man who would one day be known as the Toad was born Mortimer Toynbee. Because Toynbee's mutation was physical, he was mocked from an early age because of his appearance. Stooped with a greenish tinge to his skin, Toynbee was the butt of most jokes. He eventually ran away from the orphanage in which his parents had placed him. Years later, Toynbee would discover that he and thousands of mutants had been subjects of a group who were tracking human mutation called the Black Womb.

Toynbee's early upbringing and traumatic childhood made him extremely needy and starved for attention. For this reason, Toynbee became one of the allies of Magneto and particpated in Magneto's plans for world conquest. Toynbee became Magneto's "yes man," often times abused when plans didn't go right. This is also when Toynbee acquired the code name the Toad.

The Toad was a good name for Toynbee because his mutant abilities. Toynbee possesses incredible strength in his legs, allowing him to leap incredible distances. He also has a tongue that acts like a prehensile tail, allowing Toynbee to grasp with it. He also has the ability to exude a sticky substance from his hands that allows him to cling to walls.

The Toad was a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in its first incarnation. The Toad followed Magneto believing that he would be rewarded for his help when Magneto eventually won. But, Magneto's constant abuse and neglect caused Toynbee to grow to hate his leader and eventually abandon him.

During his time with the Brotherhood, Toynbee became obsessed with Magneto's daughter, the Scarlet Witch. Toynbee began to stalk her and when he learned that the young mutant had married the artificial man known as the Vision, he became enraged. Employing an alien battlesuit, Toynbee attempted to destoy the Vision, but was opposed by the Vision, Magneto, and Quicksilver.

Toynbee reformed and sought to become the partner of Spider-Man. He and two other would be heroes, Frog-Man and Spider-Kid nearly drove Spider-Man crazy until the three decided to band together as a team called the Misfits. The group was short-lived.

Toynbee returned later as the leader of a new Brotherhood. Joined by former fellow Brotherhood member, The Blob, the Toad lead a new group of mutants, attempting to gain power for himself. He was opposed by the mutant team the X-Force and defeated.

Eventually, the Toad resurfaced. He was given shelter by Emma Frost, a member of the Hellfire Club. Frost allowed Toynbee to take up residence in one of her homes in Canada. Toynbee, however, worked with a mutant called the Surgeon to alter a group of toads to make them carniverous. These toads as well as the two mutants threatened Frost and her charges, the team called Generation X. They were defeated with the help of the X-Man, Banshee and Alpha Flight member Sasquatch.

Toynbee has recently been part of a group of mutants who opposed a menace from the far future. Toynbee returned a changed mutant, having been mortally wounded and healed by advanced technology in an alien craft. The alien ship caused Toynbee's appearance to change and to be more normal.

In the X-Men movie, the Toad gained a prominent part in the film. He was played by Ray Park, the actor who portrayed Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode One.