How do you know that your choice in career paths was probably not well thought out? When the Ice Capades is the pinnacle of your profession.

I was riding down the road this afternoon listening to local radio when I heard a commercial for an skating show coming to a local venue in January. The names that the announcer was saying with grave but excited intensity were generally familiar to me:

The names brought visions of people in spandex skating to classical music while doing spins and twirls. They evoked mysterious names like triple salcow and quandruple lutz. The names made me remember evening after evening in the dead of winter watching people I had never heard of compete for the right to be called the best in the world at ice skating.

After thinking about it for a while and idly considering whether or not I should look into buying tickets and take my wife, it suddenly occurred to me what a disappointing career choice professional skater must be. You spend years perfecting your craft, training for hours and hours, giving up all semblance of a normal life for your dream to be a professional skater. You compete and compete, attempting to prove to a group of judges that your technique and your artistry places your skating above that of all your competitors. And if you are good enough and win the title of world champion or even better the gold medal at the Olympics, your prize for all of those years of sweat, toil, and hardship is to become one of the headliners for the Ice Capades.

Personally, I would be pissed.