It's true. How many people do you see today who sport Hitler moustaches? Probably not many.

When most people visualize Hitler, the first thing they think of is the moustache. It's become a powerful image in today's society. Anti-war protesters have used pictures of George W. Bush with such a moustache. The viewer doesn't even need to read the text on the signs to get the protester's gist; the moustache says it all.

So, the image the moustache presents to us is so powerful, no ordinary person can wear one without being accused of being a Nazi. In my opinion, that's really too bad. If you look at it by itself, it's not a bad moustache. It certainly looks more dignified than, say, a Lenin beard. But, because of Hitler, the moustache represents pure evil, the quintessense of vileness. I'm glad that nobody noticed that Hitler wore pants, otherwise, society might frown on pants too.

It seems the one exception to the rule is black people. I once saw an African-American with a Hitler moustache. At first, I didn't even notice. Then I realized, "If that guy was white, he would look like Hitler!" But as it turned out, this man was able to have a Hitler moustache without resembling Hitler. I think that's cool, and I strongly urge all black people out there to grow Hitler-style moustaches. That way, maybe some of the stigma attached to the 'stache would go away. Then, men would benefit from another arrangement of facial hair to choose from.


BrooksMarlin has pointed out that Hitler also ruined the name "Adolf" and really snappy military uniforms. However, that's a topic for another node.