Today someone I spoke to on the internets told me that, because I care about the ongoing encroachment of the database state and the increasing censoriousness and intrusiveness of the State with regard to life in Britain today, I need to see someone about my anger management issues.

Does this make sense to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Apparently, because I can happily oppose a bunch of Islamists in a debate they were having in which they claimed that freedom of speech was a bad thing and should be restricted, and do so in front of a hostile audience (to me, that is, but I'll tell you that story another time), and because I enjoy a nice battle of wits over things, I have self esteem issues. And because of my general dislike to the green lobby and willingness to take the battle to them, as it were (there are many, many, reasons to criticise the current environmental movement, but those can form nodes of their own), there's something wrong with me. And because I can happily show up some self-described radical feminists over the issue of pornography, I must have a severely atrophied sense of self worth.

If you're bemused here, then so am I.

No, apparently, people who are truly confident in and of themselves don't concern themselves with anything other than going with the flow. But to me, this is the epitome of spinelessness and cowardice. You're so lacking in confidence, it seems to me, that you daren't challenge that which is abhorrent to you because it's easier just to suck it down.

Yes, I can be pretty hard on myself at times. But I'm certainly confident enough to go against the grain on various issues with even die-hard supporters of stuff.

Like I said to this person, sense is not made by this.