So Saint Obama gets the Nobel Peace Prize. Care to expand on the why, anyone?

I mean, what's he done, seriously, that's concretely made the world a more peaceful place? What wars or oppression has he actually brought to an end? Solved the conflict in Palestine, has he? Ended the genocide in Darfur, has he? Put the boot into China until they leave Tibet alone, has he? Ended the military dictatorship and associated ethnic cleansing in Burma, has he? I mean, I don't see him exactly racing to pull the troops out of Afghanistan or Iraq, for that matter.

I await a list of appropriate deeds by return of node. Sources are required. "Giving hope" does not count. Seriously. To get a Nobel Prize for anything else you have to actually make the world a better place or discover something really significant. You can't get a Nobel Prize for Chemistry for inspiring people to become chemists, you have to go and discover magic acid or something. You can't get a Nobel Prize for Literature for writing a bestseller, you have to write something that brings something new to the table. Why, then, can you get a Nobel Peace Prize simply for being charismatic and popular? SENSE IS NOT MADE BY THIS. It's almost as bad as how Al Gore got the prize in 2007 for making a shitty film that plays fast and loose with the facts.

On the other hand, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans are rubbing their hands with glee, as come 2012 it'll give them more ammunition to play the "get rid of the overrated sodbox" card so they can get their man in.