A misunderstood footy genius?

Hans-Hubert (Berti) Vogts, born in december 1946, is one of the most successful german football players ever. Although never a representative of "the beautiful game" (his nickname was "Terrier"), he was a dogged defensive player who caused terror in the hearts of his opponents with his no-nonsense style.

As a player, he won with his favourite club, Borussia Moenchengladbach:

  • World Cup1974
  • UEFA Cup 1975, 1979
  • National Championship 1970, 1971, 1975, 1976, 1977
  • German Cupwinner 1973

He then started to work as a coach for various national youth teams for the DFB, before in 1990 he followed in the footsteps of his former colleague Franz Beckenbauer to become Germanys national coach. Probably the worst decision in his life, as he was constantly exposed to a near endless stream of abuse by fans, journalists and players. To be fair, he never had a chance, as even Cesare Menotti would have problems following Beckenbauer.

His team nevertheless won the European Championship in England 1996 but almost at any other occasion underperformed badly (especially during the worldcups 1994 and 1998, so that it was only a matter of time before he had to resign.

He tried an unsuccessful stint as club-coach in Germany but was kicked out by Bayer Leverkusen, before taking up a one year contract as national coach of Kuwait.

He recently picked up the job of national coach of Scotland, but as he only drew a meagre 2:2 against the Faroe Islands, his chair is decidedly rocky.

Shame, actually...