Mediterranean Cuisine of the highest quality

The Eyre Brothers are the pioneers of gastronomy in Clerkenwell, London, having founded one of the best gastropubs ever, The Eagle on Farringdon Rd, again in Clerkenwell and are now celebrating the second birthday of this selftitled restaurant. I was curious about this place because Time Out "Eating and Drinking" gave the place one of their elusive red stars for their exquisite mediterranean cuisine, and, being a big fan of portuguese food and The Eagle, this seemed to be a match made in heaven.

So, one beautiful late summer evening, I took a friend and the best girlfriend ever to venture down to Clerkenwell to sample the place. The restaurant is situated on a quiet street near the Old Street roundabout and has a dark, minimalist, interior with wooden panels on the walls and a vast open kitchen.

Service was swift and very friendly, without being condescending. Everyone of our wishes and whims was looked after immediately and our glasses were always miraculously full. The menu was divided into a seasonal menu and a la carte section ans was refreshingly brief. The wine list was well thought out and fortunately affordable.

Starters were impressive: my Morcilla (a roasted spanish bloodsausage) with beans was wonderful, and the best girlfriends terrine of peas and chorizo was simply sensational. Maincourses were equally impressive, with my veal and the significant other's roasted vegetables excellent.

We spend ca two hours in there, feeling very well looked after and spend 140 pounds for the three of us, inclusive two bottles of an excellent New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, so for London pretty good value.

Eyre Brothers
70 Leonard Street, London, EC2A 4QX
http://www.eyrebrothers.co.uk/