REXBURG - The older the tune, the more memories it brings back. That's especially true for the accordion.

"Music gets into your mind and you don't forget it. They associate the music with things they did when they were younger," said third generation accordion player Reed Wyate.

It even made 88-year-old Jennette Gutke grab my hands and show me how to move my feet, "Oh boy do I like to dance... I've done the jitterbug most of my life."

While some can still tap out a beat, others joke about getting around.

"I said I used to ride a Harley, and now I walk with a cane called Charley," 10 years ago Sharon Rowberry forged her memories in Alaska. "I was a rockhound for 20 years, I've done a lot of climbing hills and looking for rocks."

A box full of memories remains in Rowerry's closet. In it are a lot of hand crafted jewelry, rocks, even some panned gold. And when I held it in my hand, I realized where the saying, 'It's worth its weight in gold,' comes from."

So while the old try to keep active and optimistic, "DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-HAHAHA," hummed Gutke.

The accordion and their memories are helping them connect to the past.


To see and hear Reed Wyate play an accordion, not to mention an 88 year old try to make me dance, click on the video link from: http://www.kidk.com/news/41463317.html