When Hitler came, the feeling came over me like that of a boxer; I felt as if I had lost. All our efforts were for nothing.
George Grosz in 1958

Born in 1893, Berlin, Grosz got expelled from Grammar School in 1908. From then on, he decides to take on art courses at the Konigliche Kunstakademie, Dresden (1909) where he becomes associated with the German Expressionist group 'Die Brucke'.
In 1912 he returns to Berlin, and studies at the Berlin Art School. When in 1914 the First World War starts, Grosz voluntarily joins the German army but he's discharged in 1915 as being 'unsuitable' for service . In 1917 he's recalled for service, but he finds himself soon transferred to a mental home: he's released from all military services in May.
Back in Berlin, he founds the Berlin Dada movement and embraces the anti-war movements and left wing radical parties. By that time Grosz's name is well known for satiring the war and politicians. In 1922 he decides to join the Communist party in Germany, but after a trip to Russia he soon discovers that art and politics aren't the same and he quickly resigns.
Between 1922 and 1924 his name frequently hits the headlines: for several works he is accused of 'blasphemy' (his series 'Hintergrund'), 'offending public morals' and 'slandering the army'.
In 1924 he leaves for France, Paris and lives for a while in the south of France. When he returns to Berlin (in 1928) the political atmosphere has changed drastically. Critics call his left-ish work an 'anachronisme'. A critic even calls his 'Wintermarchen' a 'curiosity that only have a place in a wax museum'.
With the rise of the Nazis, Grosz finds himself threatened by the day. Old friends, now followers of Hitler, warn him to be careful with his political statements and even ask him 'Why he still isn't in America'.
In Spring 1932 he's invited to teach in New York, and he decides to leave but when he returns to Germany for a short visit, he learns that his house has been ransacked by the Gestapo. Grosz decides to emigrate to America, where he becomes an American citizen in 1938.
From relatives he learns that his work has been put on the Nazi's blacklist of art: secretly he's proud of it. In a letter to a friend he writes that his inclusion to the list substantiated the fact that his art had a purpose. A total of 285 of Grosz's works were collected by the Nazis and several of them where officially shown on 'Forbidden art' exhibitions.
In America, Grosz participates in several anti-fascism demonstrations.
After the war he mainly lectures art in America an in 1951 he briefly visits his motherland.
In 1958 he decides to settle back in Germany, disillusioned with the American way of life and his critics. Six weeks after his return he dies in an accident.