In film and video, the frame is the screen. Film-makers talk about creating the frame, which is the process of deciding where everything in the shot will go on the screen. For example, if there is a person looking left in the frame, then they should be on the right hand side of the frame - looking into the frame. (Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule - in this case, if the person who we are talking about has turned their back on another character, then they would be on the left hand side of the frame - looking out of the frame)

Another 'rule' about framing a shot is the rule of thirds. If you imagine the screen (I am thinking of a 1:1.333 ratio screen here - like a non-widescreen TV) split into thirds vertically, and thirds horizontally, a person's eyes should be on one of the horizontal thirds. If there is one person in the frame, then the framing is more comfortable if they are on one of the horizontal thirds too. Again, as before, this is not a hard and fast rule, and is regularly broken, but it is certainly something to keep in mind when first starting out making films or videos (although you'll find it comes naturally, without thinking about it, after a while)

----------------------------------

NYCadAdept: I believe that film runs at 24 fps all over the world - it certainly does over here in UK (otherwise they would have to make completely new film stock for outside US and Japan)