Steamed Steak

A little backstory on this one. My friend was over my house, we were fixing to make ourselves dinner (cooking with your friends can be great fun, you may find) and I had this fairly new steamer. Whatever the reason, he and I both decided we could go for some steak. Well, we put two and two together: we'd steam the steak! We scoured the Internet for some sort of recipe, but none was available. We worked out a recipe ourselves for something that, as far as I know, is totally original.

How'd it come out? It was fantastic. It was tender, juicy, and succulent. It was flavorful as well, but in a fashion different than that of a more orthodox steak.

  • One frozen steak (I don't know what kind I used, but considering the size of steamers you probably don't want anything with a bone in it)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Steamer

Excepting the steamer, if you don't have this stuff, how the hell do you cook anything?

Anyway, you have all this stuff in front of you. Fill your steamer to the "high" level with water. You might not need that much, but it won't hurt anything.

Now, back to your steak, which has probably thawed a little. You'll probably have to break or saw the stubborn thing into several pieces to make it fit into your steamer. Jimmy it into the steaming bowl.

Assemble the steamer.

Now, of course, as any true steak afficionado will realize, you want the steak to be pink in the center. Now how fast you reach that depends on how fast your water heats up, how big the steak bits are, and all that, but anywhere from 25-45 minutes is my guess. Use your judgement.

Allez cuisine!


or


Oven-Cooked steak

So maybe you read my recipe for steamed steak, but you want something more traditional. Maybe you don't have a steamer. Maybe you think "If you think I'm eating that you've got another think coming." Whatever the case may be, you want a different steak recipe?

Well, I aim to please.

You need this stuff:

  • Oven
  • Stovetop
  • Cast-iron skillet (You don't want one with a rubber or plastic grip—trust me on this one)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Oil (canola, peanut, or corn are ideal, but olive will do in a pinch)
  • A steak

Your steak can't be frozen, so thaw it first if need be.

Now, get your steak out and smear some oil, salt, and pepper on both sides. It's supposed to sit a while.

Lucky you, that gives you time to prepare your oven and your skillet. Place the skillet on the burner and turn the heat all the way up. Heat your oven to 500°F.

By the time that's done your steak will have sat enough, so plonk it on the skillet and let it cook for 30 seconds. Flip it and let it cook for another thirty seconds.

Now turn off the burner and throw the skillet in the oven. After 2 minutes, flip the steak over and close the oven. After an additional two minutes, take the skillet out (this should be obvious, but you need an oven mitt or towel, because the handle's around 500°F—hot enough to melt lead).

Let the steak sit 3 minutes. It's ready to serve.

This will give you a delicious, tender medium-rare steak. For medium, leave it in the oven 3 minutes per side. If you prefer medium-well to well-done, you might as well just microwave the damn thing.


If you like, eggs are a nice complement to either recipe.