As photographer, Jan Staller uses long exposures and filtered colors to transform everyday landscapes into something otherworldly. The two books of his work, Frontier New York (1988, Hudson Hills Press) and On Planet Earth: Travels in an Unfamiliar Land (1997, Aperture Foundation) contain highly surreal images. The sky shift to vivid shades of blue or magenta, and thanks to the wonders of reciprocity failure all the colors in his work take on unnatural hues. His work has been exhibited in several galleries and museums over the last 22 years, including The Photographers' Gallery in London, England and the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. He studied at Simon's Rock in Massachusetts and the Maryland Institutein where he graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1975. In addition to his own books, his work as appeared in several magazines ranging from Martha Stewart’s Living to Conde Nast Traveler. He also worked on the films The Amazing Story of Two Girls In Love, Fargo, and Twelve Monkeys shooting film stills.
Outside of his photography, Staller also makes handmade galvanized bicycles (designed and produced by Staller Industries)furniture,lighting and eyewear out of anodized aluminum. (http://www.janstaller.net includes several examples of his photographs)