How the United States Supreme Court became so powerful

Article III– “The judicial power of the U.S., shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish,” and it extends that power to “all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising from this Constitution.”

Marbury v Madison (1803)
Chief Justice Marshall’s decision that the suit was out of its jurisdiction, due to the unconstitutional extension of the Judiciary Act, gave the Supreme Court the power to review the constitutionality of a case/legislation. This was because Article III was exclusive and congress didn’t have the authority to include Mandamus actions.

Fletcher v Peck (1810)
The Supreme Court’s power over State courts was affirmed.

Martin v Hunter’s Lessee (1816)
Virginia refused to obey the Supreme Court’s reversal of their judgment. They claimed the Judiciary Act was unconstitutional. Virginia lost due to the fact that the States ceded some sovereignty by adopting the Constitution. The Supreme Court maintained its power over State courts.

Cohens v Virgina (1821)
The Supreme Court extended its power to encompass State Criminal Proceedings.

Scott vs. Sanford--Dred Scott case (1857)
The Supreme Court’s power over Federal Courts was affirmed, determining that the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional. “all other opinions must yield to that authoritative adjudication.”

US v Nixon (1974)
The courts were determined to have the power, under the Judiciary Act, to determine if evidence is subject to Executive Privilege (rather than the President determining that) and thus even the President is subject to the Supreme Court.