That's right people, the government is reading your email, looking at your usenet posts, watching your homemade pornography, and an agent is strapped under your car as you read this, checking your mileage.

While I don't deny that there is some sort of electronic surveilance afoot in the world wide web, the notion that governments are reading every email or post you send that contains words on the list is absurd. Have a look at some of them!: texas, captain, nerd, rain (no talking about the weather in the new era!), sex, porno (Something tells me those poor agents are going to have to do alot of reading (especially the new Irvine Welsh book)), fetish, razor, tie-fighter (Yeah, Star Wars geeks pose an enormous threat to international security), beef (perhaps the NSA is made up of militant vegetarians) and fax. That was what I got from a thirty second scan. Understandably, this is just a list from some stupid chainmail (So where the 3C!'s came from I can only guess), but presumably the real list (if there is one) would contain many seemingly obtuse words also.

Perhaps ten years ago a system like Echelon would be feasible, perhaps even useful, but definitely not now. Imagine the staggering amount of emails after September 11, 2001, all of which would have something to do with discussing acts of terrorism. You think they were all read? There is far too much data containing those sort of words to sort through it all.

"But Sasha Gabba Hey!! Surely you realise that it's not a few unrelated words that Echelon picks up on, but rather a string or phrase of suspect ones!" I hear you cry. To you I say; "you fool" or maybe; "come to the Tote on a Tuesday and I'll headbutt you in the face" depending on how work is going. On a mailing list, a message like

Kill the president,

Satellite imagery from Panama is in place to bomb the Sears Tower,

((And so on etc... - About three more paragraphs of 'questionable' text))

Went through in the same amount of time as one saying "hello" - That is, a matter of seconds.

Don't you think that a terrorist organisation would probably try and encrypt their messages, or at least use some kind of non-obvious codewords to signal their intentions to cohorts? The system might serve to dissuade Bratty Yankshit the third and his tryhard anarchist friends from trying to set fire to a McDonalds with firecrackers, but then again, it probably won't.

Sorry people, but for the most part, Big Brother definitely isn't watching. And with that, I will work on my plan to assassinate George W. Bush, mainly because he's a idiot and uses a four wheel drive. If I disappear, please delete this writeup as I will have been disproven.