It's as sure a sign of the season as tacky lights, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and piped carols. I hear this gentle debate and I'm brought back to my childhood. Or my teen years. Or last year....

I recognize the pointless absurdity of chiming in on a debate which I find pointlessly absurd, but seriously, if someone wants to wish you a Merry Christmas or someone wants to wish you Happy Holidays, why would you care? Either way, someone is wishing you a happy something.

Jesus, people are sensitive.


UPDATE December 16: I have rarely encountered anyone who took umbrage to being wished "Merry Christmas," even if it the holiday didn't reflect their beliefs. Most people let it slide. Annually, however, I encounter at least one Christianesque individual who behaves as though spit upon when wished "Happy Holidays." My comments were inspired directly by the annual rush of "We must save Christmas from people saying Happy Holidays!" blogs and angry (not concerned, but actually angry) letters to the editor.

If your faith (insert any) is endangered by people wishing you happiness, it's not very strong. What's more, the most vocal individuals are creating a situation where it's less likely anyone will wish anyone else a happy anything.

My position is that if an individual chooses to wish me happiness, that's fine with me. Merry Christmas is good. Happy Holidays is good. "HAPPY DAY WHEN BADGERS WILL COME FROM DEEP WITHIN THE SEWERS TO CHEW ON YOUR TESTICLES" doesn't enter into the debate, because that wouldn't be happy. Also, I suspect it's a made-up holiday. Even creases's wishes for "a very orgiastic Saturnalia" present a problem, since "orgiastic" suggests specific behavior that may or may not meet with my moral standards (However, I would heartily welcome a card with that message, if only for the effect of displaying it). "Have a Happy Kwanzaa," does not present a problem, and so I'm good with that.

My coffee is done and I must now stop procrastinating and shovel snow.