Any of a series of mental/emotional disorders marked by a "pervasive and excessive need to be taken care of", frequently leading to "submissive and clinging behavior" and fears of isolation, abandonment, issues of self-confidence, a feeling of helplessness, and a reliance on constant advice from others in order to escape making one's own choices (indeed, the anxiety that one's own decisions and choices are inferior to the decisions and choices of others).

Point by point, by the major symptoms of any of those disorders that may be characterized as a dependant personality disorder:

  • Lack of confidence, esp. reluctance to make own decisions without advice or reassurance
  • The need for someone to assume responsibility for one's own perceived mistakes/failures/choices/decisions
  • Silent assent to the whim of others, esp. when one's position should be questioning
  • Uncomfortable with solitude due to fear of not being able to properly attend oneself
  • "(D)ifficulty initiating projects or doing things on his or her own (because of a lack of self-confidence in judgment or abilities rather than a lack of motivation or energy)"

These symptoms often appear in someone after a long-term relationship, the individual experiencing anxiety at having to do so many things alone for the first time in so long.

Sufferer is prone to neurosis, "gullibility", inability to understand/verbalize one's own feelings, "constricted range of interests", "excessive conformity to authority", and "insensitivity to art and beauty".

Also, any symptoms that may tend to accompany/develop from any/all symptoms listed above.


http://www.geocities.com/ptypes/dependentpd.html
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx13.htm
http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/91.cfm