Right, I suppose it's up to me to write as complete an explanation of what a muslim is in this space as possible with the limited time available. There is general information floating about in the media, however Islam is a rather complex and beautiful subject, and much of this beauty is lost in the emotionally stunted, and highly filtered smaltzy world of TV, so perhaps a little more is required to touch the subject.

Muslims are practicioners of Islam. And the word means "one who submits", however it useful to know that the "one" that we submit to is Allah. To those who believe that Allah is God, I would say that you are partially right. A God is just something that you worship, it can be an idol, money, fame, or anything else that you devote time, attention and effort to. Allah isn't just that. Allah is the Creator, the Destroyer, The Absolute, he is Omnipotent, All Knowing, and is responsible for all that exists, and ever has existed and ever will exist. I think you get the idea.

This notion of Allah as Supreme Being isn't complete without understanding that Allah is One. Not Three (like Christians believe) and Not Many (like Hindus and tribal societies believe).

When you understand this concept of Allah you are a long way to understanding a Muslim. For instance a Muslim's belief in Allah as One give him a wonderful sense of logic, purpose, and strength in himself and his relation to the universe. Muslims believe in absolute justice, in truth, and in love. There is no contradiction between this idea and his view of the world, and what he know about himself and others. Allah is infallible, and he knows that whatever happens is His Will, which means that most Muslims are blessed with a kind of contentment that really ticks off other peoples.

"I know that no matter whatever happens to me or my family, justice will prevail". Is a common islamic Quote.

In complement to this, Muslims are judged on their actions as well as their thoughts, and feelings. So they feel the need to take direct action against those things they feel are evil. This concept is known as Jihad, which means Holy War. There is the Great War (The struggle within oneself) and the Lesser War (the struggle with the outside world).

Muslims believe in Heaven and Hell, and they believe they get there through their own efforts and by the guidance of Allah, who will judge them when they die. This means they take a responsible view to life, as everything matters.

Muslims believe in the family, in a father and mother, and children, and that older family members should be looked after in the home instead of being sent away at the end of their lives to die alone in some whitepainted room while a strangers watch them dispassionately. Family is important, as they teach them who they are in the world, and show them to be kind. Kindness is seen as an expression of the soul in Islam, and requires nothing in return. A good act should be done for it's own sake, and never for reward.

Muslims believe in Justice, and peace, and love and harmony.

Muslim women were the first women in the world to be given rights of property and inheritance and given the right to divorce their men. Divorce only reached the west around 1900AD.

Most Muslims know and understand the Quran, which is their Holy Book, and is seen as the Sacred Word of Allah. It is unalterable.

Muslims dont drink, and they don't eat pork.

Muslims are supposed to defend their families and their faith to the death. This is called loyalty.

Muslims aren't supposed to lie.

Muslims pray five times a day.

Muslims don't usually listen to Music

Muslims usually have excellent memories

Muslims have significantly longer than average lives. This is due to the moderation with which they live.