Be Quiet and Drive (Far away) is the 6th track from the Deftones 1997 album Around the fur. It was released as the second single after My Own Summer, and was a minor hit.

Tracklist for the single:

1. Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
2. Be Quiet and Drive (Remix) - Co Produced by Jonah and feat DJ Crook
3. Birthmark (Live)

This song was the first I heard of the Deftones and it remains one of my favourites from them, If not one of my favourite songs full stop. There is a version loose somewhere on kazaa and similar filesharing aps that shows it also works very well unplugged.

The unique sound of this record sets it apart from your typical radio grunge band. It has the standard high gain metal guitar, but the riff is based around a major interval so the sound is bright, not dark and gloomy. Its a huge wash of magnificant white noise. Over the top of it the singer Chino Moreno is (shock, horror) Singing! Not rapping or growling or screaming (Although there is a little bit of that at the end, and the Deftones do all of that in many of their other songs). It has a huge, soaring melody, and a great section at the end where the instruments are punching in and out in unison.

The radio edit only has one chorus, the album version comes back in afterwards and then has a fade out, normally I hate fade outs but here it fits well with the lyrics:

This town, don't feel mine
I'm fast to, get away
Far!

I dressed you, in her clothes
So drive me, far...
Away, away, away

It feels good, to know your all mine
Now drive me, Far...
Away, away, away

(Chorus)
Far... away
And I don't care where just, Far - away (3x)
And I don't care

(Fade out) Far - away
And I don't care where just, Far - away (3x)
I don't care, Far - away
And I don't care where just, Far - away (3x)
Far - away
And I don't care where just, Far - away (3x)
I don't care where just, Far - away
Away
Said far - away
I don't care where just, Far...