There are also rumours of another secret track listing other than the one detailed by Kane in his writeup. This one is very simple, just follow the Fibonacci sequence from the title track directly: 1 2 3 5 8 13, then run through the remaining tracks 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 12 in numerical order, this becomes:

The Grudge
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Schism
Ticks & Leeches
Faaip De Oiad
Mantra
Parabol
Parabola
Lateralus
Disposition
Reflection
Triad

Like the listing outlined above it pairs Schism to Ticks and Leeches as well as keeping Parabol and Parabola together. However I have personally found this more pleasing as it keeps the sequence of Disposition, Reflection and Triad which could be seen as one song; they are edited to flow easily into each other and often played in this order at concerts.

Lateralus has always felt to me like an almost complete album, and this order seems more a "cleaning up" of loose ends rather than a sweeping change. In the original track listing it was strange to have Ticks and Leeches ("I hope you choke") between two of the most positive tracks. Placing it in between Schism and Faaip leads you to notice some interesting similarities in the style of drumming. Without it, Mantra to Parabol to Triad drift beautifully together musically, dynamically and lyrically. It also seems to group the album into two parts with the angrier, more pessimistic tracks at the beginning, and the more contemplative, optimistic ones at the end. This fits in perfectly with the lyrical theme of change and growth.

"And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't want to be down here feeding my narcissism
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out before I pine away

So crucify the ego before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
And you will come to find that we are all one mind"