In NetHack, a scroll is a piece of parchment with magical runes written on it. When the scroll is read, the spell it details is cast. Obviously, scrolls cannot be read while blind or in total darkness.

Scrolls are flammable. If you are hit with a blast of flame, or read a scroll of fire, the scrolls you are carrying have a good chance of catching fire and burning to ashes. Scrolls aren't particularly waterproof, either -- getting dunked may erase the scrolls you are carrying. This effect can be avoided by putting them inside an oilskin sack.

Scrolls can be written by applying a magic marker to a scroll of blank paper. Different scrolls take different amounts of charges, from 8 charges for a scroll of light to 30 charges for a scroll of genocide. Your chances of successfully writing a scroll are better if everything is blessed and you are a Wizard of decent level.

If you read a scroll while confused, chances are you will mispronounce the formulae and the spell will be twisted in some way. See the individual scrolls for explanations. If you want to ascend "illiterate" (which bestows certain bragging rights in the NetHack community as it is very difficult to pull off), you cannot read any scrolls or spellbooks during your game.

As of version 3.3.0, available scrolls include: