If there's one thing I hate, it's pretentious people using these fine instruments for furniture. Putting vases that are pronounced "vahse" and picture frames on top and never tuning it or god forbid actually play it.

The description reads, "A piano designed for spacious homes, smaller recital halls, auditoriums and broadcasting recording or professional studios."1

I can't say much about it besides the fact that it feels right over the entire range. Generally (since each piano sounds different), it's a piano that offers the most quality range and full tone for the price. The soundboard is created like the soundboard of violins to give a free and even response through the entire scale-- it's tapered and double crowned to give a more homogenous sound.

A Steinway is generally better than sex, or at least a Bosendorfer.

I've used this piano at home since I was five years old-- my piano teacher also had one-- they had one at CMU (where I studied music during my youth) and Simon's Rock (in Kellogg), but now at NYU I can't get access-- and gradually stopped playing. But damn.. there's nothing on god's green earth that reflects the sheer balls of Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 3 in D minor better than a Steinway B.

When I visit my childhood home three or four times a year, I wistfully wander over to the piano, sit down, and draw a little Chopin from the unused keys. Still faithfully tuned with the changes of the seasons but somehow, there's something unexplicably sad and humbling about the slight stiffening of the leather on the seat and the thin patina of dust on the legs, as if it knows...

It helps me remember a time long past, one I've almost forgotten. Remember when I used to attend the College of Fine Arts? When I could sit down after recitals in the cool green marble halls outside of Carnegie Music Hall and hear the music resonate through the passages and inside my head.

The days of idle discipline of 3 hours of practice a day. Then, I dreamt of living a different New York-- the New York of Julliard and Carnegie Hall rather than the Wall Street and Greenwich Village where I now live.

Music Room Grand - Model B.

  • Length - 6'10-1/2"
  • Width - 58"
  • Weight - 760 pounds
  • Sticker Price - $60,000


  • 1. www.steinway.com